Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Welcome Message

The reason why I am contesting the next European Parliament elections in June is based on a belief that that is the best possible way I can serve Malta in Europe. I have for the last 10 years worked to facilitate Malta's membership in Europe. In my time as deputy head of the Malta-EU Information Centre (MIC), I formed part of a team, together with Simon Busuttil, that informed the general public on what being a member of the European Union was all about. Those were trying times for all involved. The public was being deceptively scared into believing that Europe was not a good choice for Malta. Luckily common sense prevailed.

For the past four years I worked as an official of the European Commission in Malta where I continued my work in serving the general public, explaining what Europe is all about.
I am now seeking your trust and support so that as one of your representatives in the European Parliament I can continue serving you in Europe.

On my website you will find what I stand for, what I believe in. I have given importance to four aspects which I believe should be paramount in my work as MEP. The first aspect is our security, in its widest sense, whether it is our jobs, our way of life, our peace of mind. Solidarity is another issue which I would be giving importance to, bringing Europe's social agenda to Malta, strengthening our children's rights. The third issue I will devote my energies as an MEP would be the issues of funding. NGOs, organisations, small businesses should be made aware of the opportunities EU funding may provide and helped in accessing these funds. The last issue is environment an issue which should be tackled by roping in the expertise found amongst our NGOs to ensure that the environment is truly placed at the centre of every policy, or every decision.

I trust that you will find this website informative and useful. I thank you for visiting and I look forward to meeting you in the coming weeks so that I can listen first hand to your experiences and be in a position to further explain my policies.

Sincerely

Edward

No comments:

Post a Comment